Amazon have announced the release of several new features for Amazon EC2 (Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud). Each feature taken on its own may not be ground-breaking but combine to offer virtual networking on EC2.
- A new VPC Wizard to streamline the setup process for a new VPC.
- Full control of network topology including subnets and routing.
- Access controls at the subnet and instance level, including rules for outbound traffic.
- Internet access via an Internet Gateway.
- Elastic IP Addresses for EC2 instances within a VPC.
- Support for Network Address Translation (NAT).
- Option to create a VPC (Virtual Private Cloud) that does not have a VPN connection.
In theory, with EC2 it’s possible to create a virtual network topology that closely resembles a physical data centre, making it possible to create (or re-create) a network programatically and realise it at any given point in time.
There are no charges for the new features other than existing usage costs.