The Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Multitenant Pack for Partner Hosting features includes integration with Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft Outlook, and other communication technologies. It is a unified communications (UC) solution for telecom and hosting providers.
Many IT organizations would like to utilize a UC solution but do not have the expertise or resources to build one. As a result, many are turning to hosted UC solutions delivered through the cloud by telecom and hosting providers. To streamline development and deployment of these solutions, service providers can now utilize robust, tested reference architecture developed by Microsoft and its leading technology partners.
The Lync Server Multitenant Hosting Pack builds on Microsoft Lync Server 2010 to provide telecom and hosting providers with a complete UC service solution. It integrates with the core system infrastructure, adding multitenant capabilities and other service provider-specific functionality.
Microsoft Lync Server hosting pack is a special deployment configuration scoped for hosting or telecom services providers. The solution enables service providers to host Lync Server instances shared across multiple customer environments and to provide core Microsoft Lync Server 2010 functionality to multiple tenants on a single deployment.
Apart from the basic unified communications functionality, the multi-tenant pack for partner hosting provides: multi-tenant functionality, mobility solution, audio conferencing, video conferencing and short messaging service.
The Lync Server multi-tenant Hosting Pack and its supporting partner ecosystem enable Microsoft Hosting Partners to create an economical Unified Communication service offering through:
• Multitenant functionality The ability to manage multiple customers in the same public cloud making the offering cost-effective.
• Virtualization support The entire Lync Server Multitenant Hosting Pack infrastructure can be virtualized, further reducing costs with superior scaling and pay-as-you-grow capabilities.
• Clustering support This enables unscheduled maintenance and scaling to be performed without affecting the customer experience. Clustering is critical for maintaining six nines, carrier class availability.
• Compatibility with existing infrastructure The Lync Server Multitenant Hosting Pack was designed to be compatible with the UC hosting provider’s existing network. The UC hosting provider can use this solution as a stand-alone system with its own physical infrastructure as shown in this reference architecture or can integrate it with their existing infrastructure. Integration with the UC hosting provider’s existing infrastructure reduces costs and increases system reliability.
• A strong partner ecosystem Lync Server Multitenant Hosting Pack has a strong partner ecosystem that provides add-on solutions that will integrate seamlessly through the Lync Server Multitenant Hosting Pack. By using this extensive ecosystem, UC hosting providers can enrich the feature set and value provided to their customers.
The above mentioned features are the major add-ons that actually show the cost effective capabilities of the multi-tenant hosting pack that are not present in the standard and enterprise edition of Lync server 2010.